Monday, July 27, 2015

On the Mattaponi

The other day we took a bit trip down the Mattaponi.  I am interested in visiting all the local rivers and seeing what is around the corner.  It was a great day to be out on the water.  The weather was nice and the water was smooth.  I had to use my old oar because of a mishap that I will share later.  
We put in at Walkerton.  I usually try to use public access.  This access was private but run by the Walkerton Rescue Department. We had to put $5 in a little envelope and then we were fine. We snuck in between a couple of bass boats and got onto the water.  

The water was smooth, even with the several boats going by now and again, it was not bad.  We weren’t knocked off our boards at all.  (This has happened on a number of occasions.)  The Mattaponi is a relatively shallow where we were.  It is not very wide either.  So the boats that were coming and going did have to come a bit close. Due to the time of the year there were lots of lilypads but they were in the real shallow areas.  It is funny, the mud is pretty deep when you accidentally fall off into it.

All in all we paddled about a half hour out, in hopes of seeing the river open up and we were wrong,  upon looking at the map when I got home, I found that it does not open up until the Mattaponi meets up with the Pamunkey River at West Point, VA.  There it forms the York River. So,  it looks like I may have to take a trip down there to see what that is like.  

I will have to work on putting some pictures up in here.

Mattaponi River out of Walkerton

No comments:

Post a Comment